How to make your own silly bandz
You know, those ridiculous rubber bracelets that you find all over your house? That come in every shape, color, and size so that your kids just HAVE to have them? Fear no more-- I can share with you how to make your very own. It only takes a trip to the hardware store and the guts to tell the assistant there that the reason you're lingering in the glue and sealant aisle is because you're making silly bandz and he looks at you like you are a lunatic.
Because you kinda are, but hey, nothing is cooler than homemade junk.
After one failed attempt, here's what we did:
1. Assemble materials, including waxed paper, plain paper for drawing your design, clipboard is handy dandy, food coloring (if you want colored bands), cake decorator tip and bag, silicone sealant (see below), and ice for your hand because it will shake with pain after making a bunch of these.
The silicone sealant must read 100% Silicone. I took the idiot way out and bought the bottle that actually said "100% Silicone." ALSO MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAR. Our first attempt was not only the wrong stuff (even though the bottle read "silicone sealant" it didn't say "100% silicone") but it was also almond color. Gross. It was thick and nasty and looked like dried up mucus.
2. Draw your design on a piece of paper. Put the paper in a clipboard and then put a piece of waxed paper on top of it so that you can see your design. A tip for making your design: keep it simple. And measure off an old silly band so that you get a handle on what size it should be.
3. Cut the tip off of the silicone and trace your design. If you're going to use color you'll have to put it in a piping bag with a cake decorating tip. I used clear for my ghost so I didn't have to do that. If you want to add color, simply squirt in some food coloring and mix it up with a toothpick.
Tips here are: make it fairly thick. Use the photo below as an example. Also make sure your connections are solid-- if it's a thin piece of silicone the bracelet will just break and your kids will cry and you will feel terrible that you embarrassed yourself at the hardware store for nothing.
4 Let dry for at least 4 hours. 5 is better. Overnight is splendid.
5. Gently, oh so gently, peel them off.
6. Pass them out to your kids' friends.
7. Accept copious hugs and comments such as "you're the coolest mom ever."